On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being Bra Care Expert, how confident are you when it comes to washing your bra the right way? Our bras are an everyday wardrobe essential, and they’re the item we wear the most, but do we really know how to wash them?
If your answer is between 1 to 3, this guide will help you become a bra care expert, and make your intimates last and keep their shape way longer. If your answer is 4 or 5, stick around because you might discover new techniques that will make you a pro.
But first, here are some of our best Bras!
How to Hand Wash Bras
The lifespan of your bra will depend on how you care for them. Hand washing them may feel a little extra, but your bras deserve special care. They are made of delicate materials, and we’re sure that you don’t want them to lose their shape and change the fit.
- Add a mild detergent to lukewarm or cool water and mix them. Yup! Water temperature matters. Hot water can damage your bra’s elasticity.
- Soak your bra for 30 minutes to an hour before you gently rub them.
- Rinse and gently squeeze to remove excess water. Rule of the thumb: Never wring. Instead, lay your bra flat on a towel and let it absorb the water.
- Avoid drying machines. They are your bra’s worst enemy. Air dry them on a hanger and leave them until completely dry. It takes a day or two so it’s best to have a spare in between washings.
How to Wash Bras In A Washing Machine
Your bras can handle the spin too. Hooray! But… before you toss them in, you have to make sure that every step has been taken to avoid damaging your bra.
- Set the cycle. Unlike ordinary clothes, bras can get easily damaged if not set on a gentle cycle. Add a mild detergent to cold water.
- Put them in a Meshin’ Around Wash Bag or in a Delicate Care Bra Saver to keep them protected from any possible damage. Tip: Make sure that your bras are hooked to avoid tangling.
- Avoid drying machines. Even if you’ve machine-washed them, air drying is still the best route. Lay your bra flat on a towel and let it absorb the water.
How to Wash Your Sports Bra
- Make sure they are hooked and place them in Meshin’ Around Wash Bag or in a Delicate Care Bra Saver.
- Set the cycle to delicate or normal, depending on the care instruction on the tag. You may use regular detergent or sports detergent (since sports bras are more prone to odor due to sweat).
- Air dry on a hanger or lay flat on a towel to absorb the water.
- Check and follow the care instructions on the tag. You may use regular detergent or sports detergent.
- Rinse thoroughly and avoid too much twisting to remove excess water. Air dry on a hanger or lay flat on a towel to absorb the water.
How to Store Your Bras
Now that you know how to wash your bras, it’s also a must to know how to store them to keep them in the best shape possible.
- Crowded drawers are not bra-friendly. Ideally, hang them up separately to avoid the cups from wrinkling or being deformed.
- Folding. It’s not ideal to fold your bras especially if they are wired or padded. Set them apart in your drawer.
- Use organizers or drawer dividers. Space is important for bras to retain their best shape.
Share this cheat sheet on social media:
Only delicate detergents are ideal for washing your bras. Don’t panic if you don’t have one or if you run out. You can also use regular baby shampoo. Just make sure to rinse them thoroughly since a shampoo creates more suds.
Now that we’ve shown you how to wash your bras, would you now rate your confidence as a 5? Do you now consider yourself a bra care expert? Don’t worry, it may take a few tries but you’ll get there in no time. Just make sure you keep the steps in mind so you’ll have a long relationship with your favorite bra.
Remember, caring for your bra is caring for your money too! Prolonging our bra’s lifespan depends on how we wash, dry, and store them. Don’t throw away your money replacing bras so often. They’ll last if you give them a little extra care between washes.
Any other pro tips? Let us know! Have a friend who can use a few bra care tips? Spread the word and tag us @Shapermint!